Basic of starting your SEO Campaign
1. SEO starts by having your customer “find you” by typing in keywords or key phrases into search engine such as Google, Yahoo or Bing. As such identifying customer-centric keywords is the foundation of effective SEO. Your best keywords should always match your business value proposition with high volume of keywords used by your customers. And to make your search engine optimization campaign a success, one should always brainstorm out all possible keywords. below we’ll show a few ways to help brainstorm your keywords.
Personally, i’d love to sit down in a quiet place with a good cup of coffee or tea, or if you prefer an alcoholic drink to clear your mind and start those ideas flowing! often i ask myself.
“when a potential customer landed on Google, what words do they type in?”.
Here’s a sweet little pointer that aid me in getting my keywords.
- Assume you are a completely new, novice customer.
By this i mean, assume that you know next to nothing and what single words or multi-word phrases keywords will you type into Google?
E.g if i’m looking for a Cafe near my place (Coffee Singapore, Cafe Singapore).
- Segment your customers into different groups.
What keywords might each group use, and how would they differ from other groups?
E.g Singlish/English (Kopi Singapore, Coffee Singapore).
- Are there any specific “helper” words that a potential customer might use?
Common helper words help specify geographic locality.
E.g (Coffee Singapore, Coffee Malaysia).
- Don’t miss your synonyms!
If you are seeking Cafes, don’t miss out words like “Espresso”, “Latte”.
For right now, it may all seems confusing, but don’t worry about what keywords should come out for your organization. Don’t “police” your thoughts. Write down every words that comes to mind – synonyms, competitor names, misspelling, alternative word orders. Always keep your mind open and let thoughts wander on its own. As this is the Keyword discovery phase, keep it broad and open!
2. Competitor keyword research is one of the key of dominating the Search engine. Competitor that are ranking on the first page of search engine usually means that they are doing well for their SEO campaign. and thus one should “reverse engineer” their keywords.
To do so:
- Click over to their home page or whatever page that their are on page 1 of the search engine. Next, view the HTML source. To do this, right click on your mouse and navigate to View, Page source.
- Search for the <Title>, <Meta Name = “Description” Content=”…” and <Meta Name=”Keywords” Content=”…”
Walla! if you’ve completed all steps, the very first step of your SEO Campaign is done, from here. SEO agency like us will start on the On-page and Off-page optimization of the SEO Campaign. For more detail on On-page and Off-page SEO optimization it can be found on our previous blog.
That’s it for now!
8 GB Technologies